Hoitenga discusses Michigan budget, Trump’s tariff policies

Hoitenga discusses Michigan budget, Trump’s tariff policies

LANSING, Mich. — State Sen. Michele Hoitenga on Friday addressed questions raised by constituents about Michigan’s budget process and the federal government’s tariff policies.

“Throughout my time in office, I’ve seen the state budget process play out under both Democratic and Republican leadership, with some years proving more contentious than others,” said Hoitenga, R-Manton. “With the Senate and now the House having passed their budgets, it’s time to deliver results.

“Unlike last year’s bloated Democratic trifecta budget, I anticipate our negotiations will deliver a final budget that cuts waste, repairs our roads, prioritizes education and supports struggling Michigan families. I remain dedicated to advocating for every family, industry and community in our district throughout this budget process and beyond.”

Hoitenga also acknowledged the heightened attention tariffs are receiving.

“Manufacturing and agriculture have historically been the backbone of our economy. For too long, America has been taken advantage of in trade, leading to a decline in domestic investment. As we tackle these issues with fairer tariffs, it’s essential to support our industries through collaboration, recognizing that short-term challenges can lead to lasting stability and prosperity. We must ensure that the next generation not only survives but thrives,” Hoitenga said.

Constituents with comments or concerns are encouraged to contact Sen. Hoitenga’s office by calling 517-373-7946 or emailing [email protected].

###

Skip to content